Thursday, April 18, 2013

Curve Ball From Amy Jenner

Well, sorry to have been gone so long.
I was thrown a curve ball by Amy Jenner.

For those of you who do not know her, she is a
really talented Acupuncturist and Chinese medicine
practitioner in whose hands I placed myself just a couple of days
after my return from California.

Being that almost every pulse in my body was ticking so low,
and especially my spleen  (poor, cold damp thing),
she gave me the injunction to stay away from raw foods.
And all grains.

Well now what? Many of the foods on my 33 Foods
list were raw! Well not too many of them, but enough
to feel confused about how to proceed. No grains?

For the last two weeks, instead of just digging in
and beginning practicing what she suggested, I have been
in a state of confusion exacerbated by major rebellion.
I realize my eating habits have become like a wild horse
which I have been watching for the last two weeks running and
bucking around the paddock, and until today I have not
been ready to try putting on the halter, let alone mounting.

I have had to reconstruct my 33 foods list and it keeps changing,
but as of today I am actually trying a (dare I say it?) Paleo diet, pretty
much. Not quite paleo, but close.  For those of you who are not
familiar with a paleolithic diet, it involves a very low glycemic
approach to food, and quite a bit of animal protein. This is a stretch
for me. Every time I eat, especially with no carbs, I want to eat
sugar afterward. But Amy has given me some herb powder which
makes a dark earthy mud when you mix it with water
and which pretty much settles that craving after eating. 

And for the first time in my life I am keeping a food journal.
This may be a wildly over-optimistic statement, since I just
started it today. I am recording what I'm eating, how it effects
my energy throughout the day, bowel condition, cravings, etc.
Right now I just feel like taking a nap. Was it those daikon rounds
with peanut butter on them? More likely it was playing with my
Chinese herbs by trying stevia and cream in them.
Didn't make them taste better, either.

So I just wanted to let my ten or so readers know that I am back.
Thank you, for although you are few, you are very valuable to me
and keep me writing. More tomorrow.





















I have been practicing my most
undisciplined habits of eating. The worst, like going all day
without eating because I am too busy and then eating
anything in sight when I get home and then not sleeping.
Surprisingly, this has not helped my clarity.

The most difficult piece of my food misadventures
has definitely been the removal of raw from my diet.
Harrumph!

So I have been feeling lost momentarily about how to
proceed with this changing experiment.
Today Amy told me I actually have to make a FOOD PLAN!
ME! Food Queen! A food queen rather like Mad King George.
He wasn't fit to reign, either.

She did give me a little leeway in the raw department today.
Thank heavens. I can eat some sprouts!
And so now I am about to reconstruct my list.
But first: REJUVELAC!

Rejuvelac has always been on my list and
always will be. I hear most of you -
"what is Rejuvelac, anyway?"
It is for me a true medicine food.

Rejuvelac is a fermented drink that Is made from
sprouted soft wheat berries. These are the berries (seeds)
that pastry flour is ground from.  Pastry flour is not
just a different grind of flour, but a different variety
altogether. It has a much lower gluten content than
bread flour and therefore is less elastic and makes
a flakier baked good.

So, the wheat is sprouted in the exact same fashion as I have
described in my sprouting blogs, in this case until the sprout
is about the same length as the seed.

Then, if the jar can hold about four times the volume of
the sprouted seeds, add water to the jar to almost full.
This is your ferment.

For the next three or four days, (amount of time
is dependent up on the length of the sprouts,
amount of water and, most importantly, temperature)
stir the water and sprouts three or four times a day.

The water will begin to become cloudy and after
about three days it will begin to make a little foam and
become slightly bubbly.  Keep tasting it every day.
When it tastes tangy and just a hint bubbly, decant it.

Reserve the sprouts and refill the jar, using the same
seeds to make a second batch.  The second batch
will only take a day.  Sometimes I pull out a third
batch from the same sprouts. Also a one day ferment.
After that, throw the seeds onto the compost pile.
The second (and third) batch will need to be skimmed
of it's foam a couple of times.

The Rejuvelac will last in the fridge for a week although
it should be stirred up before using it after a few days.

 Now, I always describe Rejuvelac as tasting
somewhat like watered down beer and lemonade
mixed together, sometimes with a sock thrown in.
I just sold you, I'm sure.

In that case, why would you ever drink it?
Because, most bodies really love it, and after
you  have given yourself a chance to learn its
taste, you will probably like it too. Your body 
will be the one that asks for it, not your gourmand.
 ''''''

Here are some reasons why your body - if you
give it a chance - will override any of your family's
limitations that might be controlling your thoughts
about what you will or will not put into your mouth.

1. ENZYMES
2.Natural probiotics
3. Proteins
4. Vitamins -

No comments:

Post a Comment