Thursday, March 7, 2013

Sweet Vegetable Broth for Curbing Sweets Cravings

Hi Blessed and Appreciated Readers,

Just knowing there are a few people looking in
consistently makes me want to keep writing.

I am in the middle of another longish post about spouting - but between
babies and cooking and sweeping I have not finished it.

However, this is a short intermediate post in response to a question
asked me today regarding a sudden onslaught of yin cravings (sugar,
alchohol,etc., you know the stuff). 
So I quickly offer Sweet Vegetable Broth.

This is a recipe developed decades ago at the
Kushi Institute for smoothing out imbalances of the pancreas
due to excessive consumption of sweets.  If taken regularly
for many days it definitely quells the monster sweet tooth.

It is easy to make but should only be made for two or - at the
most - three days, and can be stored in the refrigerator.

This recipe is always given to all newcomers at the healing
seminars given at the Kushi Institute in the amount of two cups
a day for a week for most people, and then down to one cup a day.
And that is the amount I would recommend for you.

Most people who take those seminars are dealing with serious
disease conditions and so the preparation of this recipe is done with
greater care than I will recommend for you, unless you are also
coping with other serious illness or weakness.

First I will give you the original recipe, and then I will tell you
my modifications and you can choose which works for you.

The original recipe:

1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
1/2 cup finely chopped cabbage
1/2 cup finely chopped winter squash
4 cups water

     After mincing by hand each vegetable to about
an eight of an inch, (when dealing with sever illness
or weakness, using electric appliances when preparing
food whether to cook or chop or grate is not at all desirable)
place them with the water in a saucepan,
and slowly bring it just to a boil, then turn it down to simmer.

     Simmer for twenty minutes and turn off the heat. Let cool a little,
strain, and drink the liquid. You can put the left-over vegies into
other things if you  want to but, truth be known,
they are used up and pretty tasteless.
I have used them as filler in bean cakes successfully.
But usually I give them to the compost pile.

 My modifications:

Since most of us will not go to great lengths to do fine detailed
healing cooking unless we are in physical danger, the above
preparation sits in the back of the mind and never makes
it to the stove.  At least that it the case for me.

SO, I put each vegetable roughly chopped, one at a time,
into the food processor and process it until the majority of pieces
are about an eighth to a quarter of an inch big.
This takes about a tenth of the time it takes to hand chop that fine.

I put them in the water and proceed as above - with ONE
personal preference.  Since I don't like the flavor of raw
or even lightly cooked onions, I eliminate them.
In fact, I don't even like Sweet Vegetable Broth all that much,
unless I put in fresh ginger. 
NOT as much as the other vegetables, though.

Here is what it looks like:

1/2 cup processed carrot
1/2 cup processed cabbage
1/2 cup processed winter squash
~ 3 Tablespoons grated fresh ginger
4 cups water

Same procedure as above for cooking.
I leave it in the water until it is cool,
because it becomes more flavorful
but reheat it for drinking.      
This is important. It is a bland (saltless)
drink and needs the warmth to make it taste good.

I usually make twice this amount,
and here is one more tip to make it easier.
Don't get too hung up about amounts!  
Here's the real skinny about my slipshod
method of preparation:

I just eyeball the amount of vegies I am processing.
Then I measure the whole amount combined and
quadruple the amount of water, and there you have it.

Drink this religiously for at least two weeks -
two cups a day for at least a week,
one a day for the next week -
for a feeling of freedom from sugar.

( real freedom from sugar takes a much longer time
which you, sugar addict, (me) know very well)





1 comment:

  1. Susan, when I did macrobiotics, I think I remember using daikon radish in the drink, also. Am I not remembering it right??? Can I put that in, too?

    ReplyDelete